Did You Know? Public Benefits During the Pandemic
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, it is important for individuals with special needs, their families and their legal and financial advisors to understand the unique benefits that are available. Below is a summary of several major changes to benefits availability as a result of the crisis.
- Increase SNAP assistance during school closures – Children who receive free and reduced lunch during school can still receive meals when school has closed
- SNAP Work and Work Training Requirements have been suspended from April 2020 through the end of the pandemic emergency declaration
- Emergency Family and Medical Leave – Employees who are unable to work due to a need to care for a child because school, daycare or childcare providers are unavailable are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid time off
- Emergency Paid Sick Leave – Employees who are unable to work or telework due to illness or caring for a sick individual are eligible for 2 weeks of paid time off
- Health Insurance – Private Insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare/VA beneficiaries all cover testing for COVID-19 without cost sharing, deductible payments or prior authorization. Many states are also providing free COVID-19 testing for uninsured individuals
- Unemployment Insurance – Unemployed individuals are eligible for an extra $600 per week compensation. Unemployment insurance can also be extended an extra 13 weeks depending on state regulations
- COBRA Continuation Coverage and Employer Special Enrollment – The election period for COBRA Continuation Coverage and Employer Sponsored Insurance has been extended 60 days past the end of the COVID National Emergency
- Economic Impact Payments – Most eligible recipients will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples plus an additional $500 per qualifying child
For more information regarding these and other benefits, please visit the links above or www.benefits.gov.
National Care Advisors consultants are also available for expert assessment, advice and advocacy for all available public benefits. Contact your National Care Advisors representative or email@example.com for more information on how we can help you or your clients today!